Some time ago I bought some sheets of Dura-Lar after watching an artist on Youtube. I didn't use it straight away as
I think I bought it to try drypoint, but it seems a little thin, so maybe monoprint? Who knows! 😜 Its an archival polyester film treated on both sides to accept water based mediums (in other words, you can paint on it without the paint going spotty and clumpy) and markers and inks. Its reusable, thin, see through, and cuts cleanly.
I tried it for monoprint, but it didn't come out well. Here's the process anyway - if you want a better how-to please do join me here where I use polythene instead. It would probably suit different type of monoprint.
Here's the equipment. Oil paints, spatula for spreading paint onto the film, masking tape, a frame which acts as a mask for nice clean edges, and some shapes - I've used circle cut outs which were to hand.
You'll also need a sketchbook or paper, and something to clean your hands with - kitchen towel/baby wipes etc.
Use your spatula to spread a little paint onto a sheet of the film. I've used oils as they keep open for days which allows for mucking about a bit, but Open Acrylics would be ok too. It's nice to be able to smudge the edges of the paint with your finger.
Unless you're an artistic genius or just know what you're doing, then I'd steer clear of ordinary acrylics as the working time is short and they dry too quickly. Caligo printing inks would be good and would stay open for days, but Akua would be too wet I think.
I went a bit mad and used 4 colours. A little ambitious for such a small area in my sketchbook.
I've used a spare mount stuck in with masking tape to hold it still.
I've lifted the sheet with the bronze coloured paint on, and gently pressed it onto the sketchbook page. I've then added some cut out circles as a mask (yes, mine are fabric, but paper would work better - they were to hand!)
This time I've added some alizarin crimson on top of the bronze.
Then green and then black. Like I say not a wonderous thing, but an experiment that took a few minutes and has led me off into another direction.
I think less is probably more.