Featured post

Copyright for all text and images @bellabow.studio

Sketchbook course - posting 3

Today I zoomed in on my cheese knife, butter knife, and bits and bobs - that prongy thing with the black oval lump on top is for spearing olives.

I have left the second page blank and unresolved as I'm going to come back to both my cutlery pages when I'm a bit further into the course and work on them some more, with fresh ideas and new techniques.

Spoons - sketchbook course, posting 2

Spoons, A4 sketchbook, 5B pencil on cartridge paper. Sketchbook course.


New sketchbook course

We are approaching nearly 4 months of lockdown in the UK, and I'm so thankful that I have an interest in all things artistic. It engages the brain and keeps me busy - I worry that if I stop for too long I'll end up on the chaise longue drinking gin. This is unlikely as I don't have either to hand, but you know what I mean!

G has encouraged (I was going to say goaded but thought better of it) me into a loooong walk each day, and as the spring was glorious, it's been wonderful in many ways. However, he has very long legs and walks quickly so for me it's more like a route march. I have said that I would like to speak to the management about this, and that I have flat feet and a note from my mum, but he can't seem to walk more slowly!!

I digress. I have, as a way of recording things for posterity, and to give me direction and stimulation, signed up for a new sketchbook course with Linda and Laura Kemshall (link in sidebar). Their videos, and website are great and I have had many years of inspiration from them (there are some free videos if you want something for nothing!!)  You also get lots of help and support from them along the way, which is fabulous because they're really nice people to talk to.

I'm hoping for great things of course and will post the odd photo of my work, but obviously I can't share anything more than that - course materials and techniques are naturally for those on the courses only.

So above is a snippet of the beginning of what I'm doing. Fingers crossed I can keep going (part of being on a course that costs money is that you have reasonable motive if all else fails). I'm feeling inspired and excited so it should be a doddle right, and I won't need a letter from anyone!

Artists Trading Cards 1 - monoprint with Caligo ink

If you look in the sidebar, you'll see a couple of places that I find inspirational. One is Linda and Laura Kemshall and the other is Dan Tirels.

Linda and Laura do online arts and crafts videos, and Dan Tirels specializes in monoprint (amongst other things). I know from Linda that there is a DMTV video coming up shortly about Artists' Trading Cards which I know nothing about, so I googled.

What a fun idea!. Using some of Dan's techniques this afternoon, I had a go! I used 3.5 inch x 2.5 inch mixed media paper cut from a large pad, and Caligo printing inks.

They're not supposed to take you too long - less than 15 mins - or you might not want to give them away!!

Here's my process:

Adding scraps of paper to the ATC

Inking up a piece of freezer bag using caligo inks and a spatula

Pressing the inked bag over the card and rubbing lightly.

Using a piece of kitchen towel to gently rub the edges of the shapes to help them blend in.

I then reapplied the inked bag gently, and used the end of the paintbrush to score lines across the card. See above.

Liesl top with Nani Iro fabric

A while ago I treated myself to some orange/rust coloured fabric by Nani Iro. It's linen, and along both selvedges there is a small flower pattern in a grey/blue.

I thought I'd make myself something new to wear and chose the Liesl & Co Gallery Tunic and Dress.

I've made this before a few times and have now altered the pattern to increase the area over the bust, shorten it, and reduce the shoulder size! I might need to trace this onto something more permanent.

The cutting out was a little tricky as I wanted to get the selvedge patterning at the bottom of my tunic, on the cuffs, and on the collar. Turned out it was quite doable, although it took time to get it all out in the 2 metres I'd bought. Here's the results!